Thursday, February 16, 2012

A 'Love' Misunderstanding


Dear Elizabeth,

I have enjoyed each day and night we have spent together for the past six and a half years—our long strolls on the beach, the horseback riding excursions across the mountain trails, our lavish cruises around the world, the evenings where I took you to your favorite restaurants for dinner by candlelight, our “rolls in the hay.”  I love your silky, flowing chestnut brown hair; I love your deep blue eyes; I love the scent of your perfume; I love your long, shapely legs; I love the feeling of your soft lips touching mine when we kiss…but I have something I must confess to you.  There is…how do I say this?  There is another woman.  I know I have seemed distant for the past few months, and this other woman would be the explanation.   
 This woman is the woman of my dreams, the woman that only comes once in a lifetime.  She is much younger than you and I. I have fallen completely head over heels for this fine lady and I cannot let this opportunity pass me by.  I am a man of sixty-seven years old.  I cannot live a lie for the rest of my remaining years I have left on this earth.  I don’t have much time left! In order to be true to myself, I know I have to pursue a passionate relationship with her.  I love you too much to string you along like this, so I feel like I have to bring this relationship to an end.  I am certain you have heard the saying, “If you love someone, then let them go.” This is how I feel, and I think it would be best if you came to the same conclusion.  I know they are next to impossible to find, but there are other men better than I am out there.  I feel it would be in your best interest if you went out on a search to find one of those men for yourself.  I hate to see you alone in such pain and anguish, so this is why I have written you this letter.  I did not wish to confront you face-to-face, because I know that this confrontation would be too excruciating for you to handle.  I consider this a favor from me to you, and I hope you feel the same way as I do about my method of presenting you with my feelings. 
While you were away on the two-week long Alaskan cruise with Theresa and Barbara, I took the liberty of writing you this letter and packing my belongings.   By the time you have gotten home and read this letter, I have been long gone, sailing off to Europe with my new lover.  I hope you have no hard feelings toward me, because I believe the two of us separating is the best thing possible for our sake.  Keep in mind that you will remain in my heart, always and forever. 

                                                                                                Sincerely,
Reginald

No comments:

Post a Comment